Review - Hobby Set Up


Review - Tabletop Hobbit's Hobby Set Up

 Hello and welcome! I’m The Table Top Hobbit. Along with my friends The Fat Dwarf and Gildoren the Elf we have created this blog to record our painting journey and hopefully, to share tips on painting to a good table top standard and indeed to show off our various creations.

 Now, I’ve been collecting Warhammer Fantasy since 1995, we here at the Tabletop Hobby Blog are still all very much Warhammer Fantasy enthusiasts, and this still remains our primary focus. However, I’ve painted a wide range of models in my time from Warhammer Fantasy and Middle Earth to 40k and Necromunda. 

 Being quite a lazy painter in terms of losing inspiration or getting bored quickly, mostly due to giving myself to much to do and being OCD when building models. I have looked into some commission painter’s work but have always been disappointed with the results. I’m not a fan of the airbrushed/rushed finish and the price is usually expensive for the results received on my hobby budget. I do appreciate you are paying for someone’s time here however.

 So as a group or "Party" we have decided to show off what skills we have and to share the work we have done.

 This article is about how I get set up and painting with limited space, and indeed time.

The Tomb of Unfinished Warriors...
 Firstly, I think inspiration can come from having a dedicated hobby space. This could be a room that’s set up for the purpose or simply a pull out box you use anywhere. I prefer to work between two places, my man cave and the coffee table in the living room, where I can paint as my wife and kids watch brain numbing telly.


Equipment

 You don’t have to have every single hobby accessory to become a fantastic painter. I personally paint most of my models using primarily a GW medium layer brush only, and have other brushes for edge highlighting and small details.



 These items are available from our Hobby Affiliates at the end of this article. I think the bare minimum of equipment to get most out of this hobby are;

 A Decent Pair of Clippers 
I have used many brands over the years, from the old yellow handed citadel stalwart, to a disappointing set of clippers from Army Painter. However at £18 from GW I would recommend the new Citadel set. I know It’s pricey but I find they are the best!

You will also require a hobby or craft knife for removing mould lines.

Super Glue
I prefer loctite it’s cheap and certainly effective. 

Plastic Glue
 I like the Revell model glue myself.
This is available from most of the below stores however I tend to buy the bigger bottle as most of the minis in building these days are plastic and superglue doesn’t bond plastic as good as this.

Brush Cleaner
 Master Brush Cleaner is probably my favourite product it gives me many more hours out of my brushes, and keeps them sharp.

Water Pot
You can just use a mug but after years of washing my brush in my tea I’ve swapped the china for a GW citadel paint pot. The ridges at the bottom help clean the brushes that little bit extra.

Citadel Painting Handle
Ok so perhaps not entire “necessary” but it’s easy to use and feels great in your hand.

Finally a must have for all your painting needs - Lahmian Medium. This little pot of magic is not only great for creating washes/shades etc. it’s also needed when using transfers and decals.


 I am hoping to get a set of articles up over Warhammer Season (Christmas Holidays) as I was lucky enough to get hold of the new Sisters of Battle box set last weekend and I’ll be doing a post regarding them as well as my Necromunda Orlock gang in the coming weeks.

Here’s a sneak peak of what to expect.

  

Thanks for checking this page out and please follow us for updates and to help keep us painting.


Is it time for breakfast yet?
The Tabletop Hobbit  



Remember and subscribe if you want to see how this article series progresses..
Element Games - Wargaming Webstore

wayland-games-discounts-free-shipping
   As promised we are trying to add relative links for OZ/NZ, Canada and the USA as I know much of you Beardlings are in fact based in our sister nations. So this will be updated with these links soon.

Australia / New Zealand



We also work for the Mperor ... click the link and get $5 off your first order! or Repent! 

click this link or suffer the wrath of The Ordo Hereticus   MPEROR




Canada / USA - Apologies, We are still working on partnering up here with white metal games and Ministomp.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Warhammer Fantasy - Tomb Kings - Necrolith Colossus

Warhammer 40K Scenery - Sector Mechanicus Part 1 - Galvanic Servohaulers

Warhammer Fantasy - Dark Elves Chapter 8 - Har Ganeth Darkshards