Stayin' Alive - Chapter 1 - How Deep is Your Love?

Stayin' Alive - Chapter 1 

How Deep is Your Love?


a Priest of Sigmar dies defiantly but swiftly...


   My "undying" love (sniggers) for the Undead and in particular the Vampire Counts.


   We all have that army we were instantly drawn to as a kid, the one that was in our mind when we sold our souls to the Games Workshop gods. For me this was the 4th or 5th edition Undead army, which ultimately split into to The Vampire Counts and Tomb Kings in later editions.


A band of adventurers sealed their fate when they awoke Lorenz VonKeller from his beauty sleep.


   I’ve collected Vampire Counts on and off for majority of my hobby life. Falling out of love with them for a short period of time when my attention was drawn to those little bearded buggers that love cannons (*cough, cough*  And BEER ! we love beer...Fat Dwarf)

    The vampire lore always drew me back and I loved the history in the early books, the main characters where "fleshed" out well. It always felt like the Vampire counts were dealt a unfortunate hand at every turn, they very nearly took over part of the Empire on several occasions, only to be thwarted at the final moment, they were the "nearly men" (sniggers) of the warhammer world!


Element Games - Wargaming Webstore


    I personally liked the idea that Vlad VonCarstien just wanted to be accepted by the Empire and rightfully recognised as an Elector Count of Sylvania... or did he?

   In my opinion the army is one of the most aesthetically pleasing armies on the battlefield. When looking at deployed hordes of Skeletons, zombies and ghouls I was taken by these large hordes and monsters. My biggest problem was painting them and still is to this very day. 

   Since COVID-19 rocked on to the scene, I’ve had them in and out of the box with great plans but something always seems to pull me away from them. At having nearly 10,000 points of models with 50% having not be burst out of their cellophane covered coffins I feel I have let them down. I want to put 100% of my effort in giving them the love they deserve and painting them to the best of my abilities but time is my enemy... (and Bretonnians... -FD)


A lone Priest of Sigmar stands ready to die bravely as a horde of the dead surrounds him.


   My favourite addition of the Vampire Counts was 6th Edition. I loved the way you could design your own army and lore around characterful and diverse Bloodlines.


All Rights GW, Bloodline options


   I still remember my general Lorenz VonKeller the Scourge of Averland dealing death and destruction during our very first Mighty Empires Campaign. Before being taken down a peg by an alliance of High Elves and Bretonnia only to watch my glorious host crumble back to dust* .

* (in the very first turn down of a mammoth battle due to a cracking 1st strike cavalry and aerial strategy and mountains of typical good-guy luck on my adversaries side

 Lorenz VonKeller the Scourge of Averland 

   The thing I loved about this 6th edition army more than anything was no matter if I win or lose I loved playing every game.



wayland-games-discounts-free-shipping



  Ofcouse everyone had there favourite combos and I usually bounced between the Blood Dragons and Necrarchs bloodlines just to add some variety in the game, also due to those particular Bloodlines having great sculpts at the time. (you do love "shiny" TTH -Fat Dwarf)


All Rights GW, the 6th edition army book. shes seen alotta luvin..


   Then 7th edition came and went and we had some great rules but it was during this time I fell out of love with vamps for a small spell. It was also when some great models were released including the current Skeleton warriors, plastic ghouls amongst others. 


All Rights GW, the 8th edition army book.


   Then came 8th edition, and I know lots of you would disagree, but I thought this was the best as a Vampire Counts player. Big units of 40+ skeletons at 5pts per model (fully equipped!) meaning i can have twice as big units! unlike 6th edition at 10pts per model.



Element Games - Wargaming Webstore
Crystal Codes for Element Games RIC134 or ROB8508
  
Element Games - Wargaming Webstore



   Also who doesnt love Blood Knights? wow, one of the best Knight units in the game, both on the field and in the lore, they were of course prohibitively costly but always secured a slot in my roster for larger battles. Not forgetting the Varghulfs (monstrous vampires) who doesn’t love that? limited in use due to being a bullet/arrow/magic magnet, but perfect for hunting those rogue lone characters or war machines. (well maybe not Witch hunters...)

   Gildoren, The Fat Dwarf, the Ork-Adjutikator and I also converted rules for Circle of Blood the fantastic boxed 5th Edition campaign and played a few interesting and entertaining battles with that. We got round to Sigmars Blood but due to not having some of the current models built (sort out the shrink wrap coffins! - FD) we never completed it, however now we are in warhammer purgatory there is endless time to complete that, maybe even worth a blog article who knows? (if you can build the minis - FD)

   I felt that there was so much that could have happened if Fantasy continued beyond 8th; and was saddened when they killed it off. Not that I'm bashing Age of Sigmar - just that here was always room for this and Fantasy. Anyway, I'll play 8th till I die...

I’ve talked my hairy toes off, the tea cup is dry and biscuit tray is now only crumbs...


Thanks for reading, send food..!

The Tabletop Hobbit


Remember and subscribe and comment here on Blogger

HANDY LINKS SECTION

As ever we suggest you look around for the best deals, but we have found the following the most competitive.

RETAILERS:

UK:


Vampire Counts

Deathlords Mortarchs of Nagash -  Element Games  The Outpost  Firestorm Games  Wayland Games
Konrad Von Carstein -  The Outpost  Wayland Games
Start Collecting Skeleton Horde -  Element Games  The Outpost  Firestorm Games  Wayland Games

Tools

Artist Opus Brushes - Element Games
Games Workshop Citadel Brushes - Element Games  The Outpost
Games Workshop Artificer Brush - Element Games  The Outpost
Army Painter Brushes - Element Games  The Outpost

Citadel Plastic Glue 20g - Element Games  The Outpost
Revell Plastic Glue 25g - Element Games 
Citadel Super Glue 5x 0.5g - Element Games T he Outpost

 Remember and subscribe if you want to see how this article series progresses. By clicking the link to your preferred outlet below, it will help fund the time we can spend on this, it costs you nothing but helps us a great deal!
Element Games - Wargaming Webstore
Crystal Codes for Element Games RIC134 or ROB8508
  
Element Games - Wargaming Webstore
 

wayland-games-discounts-free-shipping
Australia / New Zealand



We also put our faith in the Mperor ... click the link and get $5 off your first order! or Repent! 
click this link or suffer the wrath of The Ordo Hereticus   MPEROR

Canada / USA - Apologies, We are still working on partnering up here with white metal games and Ministomp.

Element Games - Wargaming Webstore















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Warhammer Fantasy - Tomb Kings - Necrolith Colossus

Warhammer 40K Scenery - Sector Mechanicus Part 1 - Galvanic Servohaulers

Warhammer Fantasy - Dark Elves Chapter 8 - Har Ganeth Darkshards